Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Life is a Series of Tradeoffs


Spending money wisely is something that has been etched into my mind. Without spending much time on the various sources that left me laced with the value of a dollar I would like to bring your attention to my skillful approach of how to justify the money that does get spent frivolously. If it were a new shirt I would say, "Yes, I do have 3 other black blouses. However, this black blouse is work appropriate." If it were a new camera I would say, "Even though my old camera was still functional, I needed a new one for my blog's pictures to look more professional. I can still bring the other out to the bar."

It's hard to dispute those benefits, right?
Well, anyway, perhaps we can meet at a common place and agree that a nice meal out never takes much effort to justify. After all, eating out turns a boring night in into an occasion celebrated by eating with family or friends. Occasions are easy to justify! (Exclamation added to mask my frustration over how many occasional boring nights were turned into occasions.) However frustrating, it is true that the memories created at these meals will always be close to my heart, could never be replaced, and are always my favorite thing to spend money on.

As the nesters gear themselves up for what is sure to be a delicious holiday meal to celebrate friendship tonight at Victoria's Gastro Pub I began stalking the restaurant's menu: 1/2 price cocktails, lobster grilled cheese, duck fat fries. Oh. Mon. Dieu! Yes! How on anyone on earth pass it up? Slap a $20 price tag on a grilled cheese- some might say, "No, thanks."

And so Dad's old expression, "Life is a series of trade offs" comes into play... again. Because I cannot say no to fancy cocktails, cannot omit duck fat fries nor substitute a plain grilled cheese for the one adorned with lobster I have been forced to trade off some smaller pleasures in order to cushion my wallet. Here are some easy ways to pinch $30 from your wallet this week:

1. Nothing else to eat Chicken Salad: Make it one week night by combining hummus, whatever veggies you've got in the fridge, and canned chicken. Season it to your taste- I, of course, prefer hot sauce. Eat it for lunch on salad, toast or with pasta. Save yourself at least $10 you would have spent on other lunches.

2. No excuse to stop at Starbucks: get your coffee ready the night before. When you run out, drink tea instead. (It's the same amount of caffeine, you know.)

3. Easiest pumpkin muffins ever: 1 box spice cake mix+ 1 15 oz. can of pure pumpkin puree. Mix, bake and grab for breakfast. No extra money spent on breakfasts forgotten at home either.

4. Ask for a ride: the benefits of carpooling go beyond environmental salvation. For those of you with SUV's saving $10 on gas means cutting down just 50 miles from your weekly commute to work, the gym, grocery store, or bar in downtown Baltimore (Wait, should you even be driving there in the first place?)


Note: One glass of Victory's Old Horizontal Barley Wine Ale will have you sawing logs


Now, sink your teeth into that lobster grilled cheese, wash it down with a perfectly paired micro brew and smile because it was worth pinching pennies during the week to afford. (Dad, you were right again.)

1 comment:

  1. The Greatest Man Who Has Ever Lived... And Once LovedFebruary 2, 2011 at 9:58 AM

    You know, YOU GUYS SUCK! I hope that is not too offensive. I recently stumbled across your blog and loved it. Now I check it all the time only to be disappointed that there are no new posts.

    I believe there was even one post that said you two were going to start posting more.

    I think you have a great blog and that you should keep making it better and better.

    I know you both must have jobs, social lives, sex lives, but they come second to the blog!

    So do what you have to do and start posting more!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete