Thursday, December 2, 2010

Float like a butterfly, sting like a Bean

HERE I AM! oops.


Thanks to GROUPON and LA Boxing, I got 30 days of boxing classes (a $114.99 value) for $49! I convinced a couple of my cousins to join me in this month-long journey through the world of "boxing, kickboxing, mixed martial arts and hand-to-hand kangaroo combat".


Post kickboxing class #1.

Going into the first class, I didn't think it'd be easy, but I didn't know that I would struggle to walk, or even move, for 3 days afterwards. I had taken kickboxing classes before and I have my own 25-pound punching bag that I got back in high school when I couldn't afford anger management classes, but this kickboxing class was no joke. Sometime during the middle of class I found myself fighting a 150-pound bag with my eyes closed because the sweat was dripping into and stinging my eyeballs. I must say this is one of the best workouts I've ever done. You are pretty much working every muscle in your whole body, and it's also a great cardio workout.

However, there are some cons: (1) Until boxing, I never knew that hands could smell like feet. Maybe one day I'll get my own pair of gloves, but the ones at the gym are shared so I'll have to suck it up and wear the same sweaty gloves as others have before me. (2) The hand-wrapping process takes a while to master. (3) No matter how many classes you go to, sore muscles just do not go away! (4) Refer to injury tally. 

Injury Tally = 3: after class #1-bloody knuckle, after class #2-strained shoulder muscles (but nothing a couple of Salonpas patches couldn't miraculously fix overnight), after class #4-possibly sprained left wrist (let's hope this one heals before the snowboarding trip next week!). Mom, if you're reading this... don't worry, I'm fine!

The best part of it all and what makes it worth the hour of suffering is the average calorie burn--around 1000 calories per class! Another good thing is the music. They play music that makes you want to dance, so at times you'll forget that you really hate the instructor that is yelling at you to do 200 jumping jacks with 20 pushups in between followed by a series of jabs/hooks/crosses/uppercuts. Also, this was listed as a con, but it's a good thing too...sore muscles just do not go away! This is typically a good measure of how hard you're working. When you're sore, you feel like what you're doing is effective, right?

If you want to give it a try to see if you like it, you can sign up here for a free class! 

Maybe if we worked out as hard as these boxers, getting through an LA Boxing class wouldn't be so RUFF!

No comments:

Post a Comment