Tuesday, November 16, 2010

CottonHeadedNinnyMuggins


Have you ever seen a cotton field? Until this weekend I hadn't. I wear a lot of cotton, I know what cotton balls look like and I've heard of cotton plants but the full connection between the plant and my shirt never occurred until this weekend. Rows and rows and rows of cotton plants occupied the field outside of my weekend getaway (please pardon my lack of posts.) Upon arriving I had to stare, "Is that what I think it is?" Cotton. I couldn't wait to jump out and get my hands on it!
The touch, the feel.

I made my way through the field and picked a few cotton buds from their shell. It felt like you would think: like a cotton ball. However, there were small impurities embedded among the fluffy, white mess. The crop was out of season so it looked a bit wilted and frosted but the fluff balls that once bloomed were still white and soft despite past encounters with the elements. I grabbed a few fluff balls, snapped a few shots and we headed down the road to Nashville, TN.


I must admit that I am a bit fidgity. Sitting in a vehicle for over two hours with a cotton ball in my hand could only lead to one thing- my picking, pulling and removing its impurities from the ball of cotton all the way. I made it my goal to make my first homemade cotton ball from what I harvested by hand. This is what I ended up with. It was soft, lush and dense as it appears. Although, I still wasn't sure it was safe for me to use as I would a store bought cotton ball.
Great Ball of Cotton!

A few moments surfing the world wide web (how's that for a throwback!?) led me to find that what I have been using as a "cotton ball" or "cotton swab" is really made of synthetic fibers. How could I have overlooked something so obvious?! The cotton balls that many of us use are made of polyester or polypropelene-ick! Cotton, Inc. attests that these fibers are reletively slippery and slick on the skin, are more abrasive to sensitive skin and don't hold the same emollient qualities that natural cotton does. (Source) Note taken! Boy do I feel like a cottonheadedninnymuggins!


I suppose next time I'm visiting down south I'll have to spend some time making more homemade cotton balls if I can get away from picking the neighbors' crop ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment